Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Movie Review: The Prestige

Magic, mayhem, and nonlinear storytelling. What else could I be talking about other than the latest movie from Memento director Christopher Nolan?

The story takes place at the turn of the 20th century, as two rival magicians battle. Their rivalry turns bitter when Alfred Nolan (played by Christian Bale) allows a deadly trick to rob Anton (played by Hugh Jackman) of something special. Thus, Anton begins his descent into revenge, as Alfred begins his journey to upstage and humiliate his rival.

If it seems I am being skimpy on the plot details, I am. I don't want to reveal too much, because like the subject matter the film is dealing with, much of the picture deals with misdirection and deadends. Suffice to say, there are many twists and turns, and I was left shocked at the end of the movie.

There are fine performances all around. Jackman and Bale put forth efforts that if they were in a straight up period piece would probably have their names being called on Oscar night. Michael Caine plays his supporting role with a nice bit of understatement. And even Scarlett Johansson impresses me, in her first role that I have seen her in on the big screen.

Like I said in the intro, this being a Nolan piece, the story is not linear. There are flashbacks to flashbacks that lead to other flashbacks. The story is disjointed at times, but some minutes into the movie, the confusion leaves you. Once you are settled into the film, the story unravels like a paper ball, slowly, and at times, randomly.

I was blown away by this film. It will leave you wondering about it outloud and to your friends.

4 1/2 Doves out of 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home