Saturday, December 09, 2006

Pop Culture Pusher

Recently, I got asked what television shows I currently watch that I would like for other people to watch. This got me to asking myself what other properties I have tried to "push" other people into. Below is a list of things I try to get other people to enjoy and a reason for each item.

TELEVISION:

"Lost": Big surprise here, right? The show is a drama and a mystery. The first season really hooks you in, and although the second season is a change of pace, it is available on DVD so you don't have to wait a week between episodes. Once you watch the first two seasons, I don't see how you can't start watching the 3rd season. Really, this is the best show on TV.

"Heroes": The second best drama/hour long show on TV. It has all the lightness of a comic book with the serialized hook of Lost. With the show off till January 22nd and all the episodes available on the NBC website, now is the time to catch up.

"The Office": The second best show on TV and the best comedy. It is deliciously awkward and cringeworthy. Not only does Steve Carrell shine, but with the inclusion of Ed Helms, the show is really reaching the upper atmosphere. It definitely deserved the Best Comedy Emmy last year.

"Arrested Development": Ok, there are no original episodes anymore, but do yourself a favor and pick up the DVDs. The episodes are funny and become hilarious when viewed together in a string. There are many repeated jokes that are more clear with marathon viewing. Will Arnett is the breakout star of the show, but every cast member has great comedic talents. I do believe this show is a great satire of sitcoms and outlandish behavoir.

MOVIES:

"Donnie Darko": A weird little movie that makes no sense. But it has Jake and Maggie Gylenhaal, Patrick Swayze and a host of other "Hey, I Know That Guy!"s. You might not get the story, but you'd appreciate what the movie is trying to do. Look for the subtle 80s movie parodies that run throughout.

"Mallrats": A personal fav of mine. Really, if you aren't under 35, this movie isn't for you. But if you are, and you enjoy somewhat crude humor and comic books, you can't miss this.

"Fight Club": Great ending, great beginning, and a great middle. This movie is visally stunning and actually improves upon the source material it is based on. You get two fine performances from Edward Nrton and Brad Pitt. If you watch closely you can catch the clues to the big reveal throughout the movie.

MUSIC:

Gnarls Barkley, "St. Elsewhere": Yes, "Crazy" did get overplayed during the summer, but it isn't even the best song on the CD. That would be "Gone Daddy Gone". Or "Smiley Face". Or "Transformer". You get my point.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Greatest Hits": This one actually got pushed on me. I heard it while on a trip with a friend of mine and it entered my subconscience. I didn't even remember that I had actually heard the CD before I added it to my Amazon.com wishlist. Sure enough, for my birthday, I got it. I love the hits I recognize and now I am totally digging the later half of the CD, which is made up of lesser known hits.

There you have it. If you come across me and we get into a conversation about what we are currently enjoying, chances are I will tell you that you need to indulge yourself in one of those choices. Those are my current pop culture vices, and I hope I can sell them to you too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home