Thursday, January 17, 2008

How to Deal With The Writers Strike

It is something like Day 76 of the Writers Strike, which continues as an impasse between the WGA and the AMPTP (or whatever the studio acronym is), and the effects are being felt in TV Land. For all the shows you loved in the Fall, it looks like they won't be coming back in the Spring. There are some new shows this Spring that are begining to air now, but they too have a limited number of episodes filmed, less than what they would normally air. So what should one do to pass the time?

Well, there are some new/returning shows as I mentioned that seem to be worthwhile. The Sarah Connor Chronicles (9 PM on Fox) is off to a good start. You don't need to know The Terminator mythology to enjoy the show, though it helps. It stars someone from 300, someone from Heroes, and someone from Firefly so it is a geek's dream come true. There is also the returning Lost (two weeks to go!), now airing on Thursday at 9 PM on ABC. I am of two minds about Lost coming back. It has been like 9 months since the finale blew me away and I need my fix, but it is only coming back for 8 episodes instead of the scheduled 16. I think the fact that I can see Jack and company again will outweigh the brevity of this season.

On the movie front, Cloverfield comes out tomorrow. So far the reviews have been good for a movie that might have died ala Snakes on a Plane due to the Internet hype. Also coming up in May is Iron Man and in July, The Dark Knight, two superhero movies that will go for more pathos than punchouts. Also in May, Indy returns with Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Indiana Jones was a favorite series of mine growing up (despite me only seeing the last two of the original trilogy), so I am definitely looking forward to this film. Advance word says that Harrison Ford is not showing his age and is still an action star.

On the book front, well, I am not too up to speed on that. I haven't found the time to look over any new novels, still haven't finished the two books I started over the summer. But, of course, if you want to completely rid yourself of Hollywood, book reading is the way to go.

While the situation looks bleak, as the writers and studios butt heads over and over again, there are still some rays of hope out there. But those rays will get snuffed out the longer the strike goes.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger David McIntyre said...

Who was from Heroes?

1:50 PM  
Blogger Adam Entertainment said...

Thomas Dekker (John Connor) was Claire's "gay" friend from the first half of Season 1.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Gonch In Goal said...

I thought I recognized but couldn't place him. Obviously Sarah is from 300, I only watched the first episode so far but while she plays the part ok, I don't know if she can be quite as threatening as Linda Hamilton was, heh. Of course just having Summer is awesome. I like how they just dove right into things, they don't mess around in the Terminator universe.

Smallville comes back the same night as Lost, so apparently Lost is moving to Thursday nights? I don't know if that's wise. Same time? Ironically Smallville has probably the most episodes ready to go. I'll go for the obvious here and say because it takes the least writing ;)

8:31 PM  
Blogger Adam Entertainment said...

Lost is indeed moving to Thursday, but at 9 and I thought Smallville is on at 8? I do agree that I don't like the time change, just because that makes the fifth time in four years that Lost has changed its timeslot.

But, on the other hand, Thursdays at 9 is a big ratings time slot, with CSI and Grey's Anatomy being the big winners there. Of course, Lost is taking GA's spot and CSI is in reruns, so maybe, just maybe, Lost will regain some of its lost viewership.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Gonch In Goal said...

Ouch pun. Also according to my DVR Chuck is back this week and it's on Thursday. I really hope these shows don't all start colliding, I prefer them all be on different nights if possible.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home