Friday, December 01, 2006

So This is What People Think Are The Greatest TV Quotes of All Time?

TV Land is revealing what they chose as the 100 Greatest TV Quotes of All Time. The interest caveat here is that they chose anything that aired on TV as fodder. So we have newscaster catchphrases, political speeches, and commercial(!) stuff. Which not to say is bad, just unusual. Here is the link to Rolling Stone covering it.

Of course, I have to argue with some the inclusions and omissions. "Denny Crane" has already made it to the list, but "Don't tell me what I can't do" from Lost is out? No "Time for a Threat Down!" from The Colbert Report? Nothing from Arrested Development (C'MON! as Gob would say). Really, they could have done without the commercials, and even some of the newsworthy stuff (I am surprised they didn't put down Cronkite's speech after JFK was shot). But commercials, while memorable, should have their own separate category.

I am also deeply amused by the comments people left on this particular posting. From misunderstanding that this is a TV article, from sniping at each other for their quotes, it reminds me that not everyone with a computer should post on the internet.

...Wait, what am I saying? For the few of you that do read this blog, let me know what you think about the list and we can have a mini-debate.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gonch In Goal said...

Very well, I submit to you sir, that television is made of television shows. Commercials are there to allow for bathroom breaks and let me know about things that I cannot afford or do not need. After all, I can't be in the market for a car every day of the week. News has no place in television, only fake news. If you want news, that's what the internet is for, because those 24 news channels have no news to report, just time to fill. This should be about the writers of great tv shows, not reporters saying what they feel or commercials slapped together.

Also, much as I love Lost, they aren't going to take a quote from that in the entire history of television, so don't let that get to you. I mean if that were the case then something like Buffy would be way more quotable than Lost. Remember, when it comes to top 100 lists or whatever, things that are recent, no matter how good they are, are always overshadowed by "classic" things.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Adam Entertainment said...

Oh, I agree with you about the Lost quote. But, I mean, they had Boston Legal on it. So it wasn't a matter of the recent stuff getting the shaft.

I think "Bored now" from Buffy should be on it. And "Gorram". In fact, screw this list, I am going to make up a lsit of the 100 Top Whedon Written Quotes!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Gonch In Goal said...

Yeah! With blackjack, and hookers! If you need help, I'd be happy to :p Great quotes from the top 100 best of the MODERN era, would be nice. For us Gen Yers. Damn that sounds stupid.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home