Sunday, October 29, 2006

Entertainment: Critical's Entertainment Weekly Review for the Week of November 3, 2006

I am back reviewing EW in my usual Highlights/Lowlights format! I know everyone missed it!

This is a review for Entertainment Weekly #905, featuring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett on the cover.

Highlights

- News & Notes: "The Incredivle Shrinking Network": Recently, NBC announced that it is looking into eliminating scripted programming in it's 8 PM timeslot. This article succiently describes what that means and the reasoning behind it. I think NBC is making a big mistake in bringing up this idea.

- Spotlight: Elizabeth Mitchell: This was an informative article on the newest addition to the Lost cast. Perhaps too informative, as it contains what I would call a light spoiler. Still, it's nice to see, once again, that on Lost it's the characters, and the actors and actresses that play them, that count.

- DVD Review: SNL: The Best of Saturday TV Funhouse: TV Funhouse has been the only consistently funny portion of SNL in a while. In this short review, I learned something new: Stephen Colbert and Steve Carrell both wrote for The Dana Carvery Show.

- TV Review: South Park: Yep, the long running crude cartoon is back and it's funny as ever. South Park has sorta reached The Simpsons Zone in that while not every episode is laugh out loud funny, each episode is still hugely entertaining.

Lowlights

- News & Notes: Setting Sales: This article on why sales are down for opening week music sales only briefly touches upon what I think is the main reason: music is so fractured nowadays that no one artist has mass appeal.

- Style: Amy Sedaris: Although I appreciate this satirical look at the horrors of the red carpet, did I really need to see an overtan and overexposed Ms. Sedaris?

So, once again, I didn't find any of the main articles interesting, but quickly looking over the Highlights vs. Lowlights, I see I have more Highlights, so...

EW #905 gets a B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home